Guardianships / Conservatorships

Are you concerned about the welfare of a child or adult who cannot manage their own affairs? When, because of unforeseen circumstances, children lose their parents, or adults are unable to manage their own affairs due to disability, someone needs to step in and help.

Ideally, an estate plan will be in place that includes a Will appointing a Guardian or Conservator for the minor or disabled adult, a Durable Power of Attorney, and a Medical Power of Attorney.

However, when there are no persons legally capable of assisting a loved one who is not able to manage their own affairs, the Michigan Probate Court will appoint a Guardian or Conservator to assist the individual. At Mall Malisow & Cooney, P.C., we represent interested parties during Conservatorship and Guardianship proceedings.

Dedicated Legal Counsel for Families Throughout Michigan

Mall Malisow & Cooney, P.C. can also help an individual if someone is seeking to become their Guardian or Conservator, if an appointed Guardian or Conservator is not acting in their best interest, or if they no longer need a Guardian or Conservator. Having a Guardian or Conservator means that many significant rights are taken away from that person. Our attorneys can help advocate on behalf of an individual to protect their rights and ensure that a Conservator or Guardian is necessary, that a Conservator or Guardian only has powers that are truly needed to help the individual, or to prevent abuse by a Guardian or Conservator.

If you are concerned about an adult or child who will need a representative, or if you want to offer to serve as a Guardian or Conservator for a relative or friend, it is important that you fully understand the responsibilities involved. Contact our Farmington Hills office if you would like to arrange a consultation with one of our firm's lawyers.

Experienced Conservatorship and Guardianship Law Attorneys Serving Detroit

Our attorneys, assisted by our staff social worker, will work with you to explore all resources available to provide for the best possible quality of life and quality of care for your family member or friend. If the dependent involved has special needs, government assistance may be available.